Clubs come and go. Sometimes they try a Jazz policy and wimp out after a few weeks. Those who start a new jazz policy are very quick to insist on a listing, but nobody EVER gives a notification when it is discontinued.
I try to keep current, but have neither the time, bread, nor liver cells to be on the scene in any serious way.
Most of the places listed here are pretty consistent about booking Jazz, but it’s always a good idea to call first. Also, the City Paper sometimes does a good job of listing events and bookings. Local dailies are not updated as much as they should be. Consequently, if you see Lester Young booked at Pep’s while reading theDaily News or Inky (Inquirer) this weekend, don’t cancel any engagements ’till you call and check it out. Also peruse the Philadelphia Weekly. If you hear of a new club, let me know and I’ll add it.
SOUTH Jazz Parlor and Restaurant – AMAZING spot for all genres of Jazz and great sessions on tuesday nights.
COMING UP THIS MONTH AT SOUTH :
Paris Jazz Bistro downstairs at the Chestnut Hill Hotel.. From those folks who brought you Zanzibar Blue and Warmdaddy’s.. Lot’s of great vocalists.
Jazz most nights.
SULLIVAN’S STEAKHOUSE click HERE for Schedule 5525 Concord Pike Wilmington, DE 19803 (Clifford Brown’s hometown is a short ride away !!) 302-479-7970 (There is one in King of Prussia as well that has some Jazz too.. )
Top Shelf Lounge, 56th and Market – Tues. Nights with legendary Sam Reed, and Saturday “Matinee” from 4:00-8:00 PM. Artists vary.
Jazz one or two nights a week.
- Gallucios – Wilmington, DE – Sundays and Thursdays
- Dowling’s Place – Sunday Nights with Lucky Thompson and the Budesa Brothers 1310 N. Broad St. (at Thompson) 215-236-9888
- William Penn Inn, Route 202, Sumneytown Pike in Gwynedd, 215-699-9272.
- Bob And Barbara’s (Mon.+ Fri-Sat)
- Sullivan’s Steakhouse 700 W. Dekalb Pike , King of Prussia (610) 878-9025
- 23rd Street Jam at Manayunk Brewing Company – (Tues. Jams only)
- Charley B’s, II (formerly Slim Coopers) at Johnson Stenton Ave 215-424-2499
On the Jersey Side.
- Firehouse Café – Mt Holly New Jersey
- Candelight Lounge in Trenton 24 Passaic Street
Trenton, NJ 08618. (609) 695-9612
- SULLIVAN’S STEAKHOUSE 5525 Concord Pike Wilmington, Delaware 19803. 302-479-7970
JAZZ TRIO – THURSDAYS / JAZZ DUOS ALL OTHER DAYS
Monday – Friday 6pm – 11pm / Saturday 5:30pm – 11:30pm
Sunday 4:30pm – 9:30pm
Sunday and Monday 6pm – 11pm / Tuesday – Friday 6pm – 11pm
Saturday 5:30pm – 11:30 pm
Like most concert venues, these feature a variety of styles of music, but some pretty good Jazz can be heard occasionally.
- World Café Live – 3025 Walnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19104. 267-295-2939
- Woodmere Art Museum – 9201 Germantown Avenue Philadelphia, PA 19118 Located at Bells Mill Road. 215-247-0476
- Firehouse Farmers’ Market 50th and Baltimore Avenue
- Philadelphia Clef Club of the Performing Arts
- Society Hill Playhouse – The Red Room
- Annenberg Center (Irvine Auditorium)
- Kimmel Center – Will be featuring national acts as well as some locals
- Sedgwick Theatre in Mt. Airy